THE WHITE BEAR PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1208737

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1994

Statutory Address: THE WHITE BEAR PUBLIC HOUSE, 57, ST JOHN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WHITE BEAR PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208737 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 04:40:25.

Location

Statutory Address: THE WHITE BEAR PUBLIC HOUSE, 57, ST JOHN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Islington (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 31792 81961

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3181NE ST JOHN STREET 635-1/77/785 (West side) No.57 The White Bear public house

II

Public house. Dated 1899 in gable. Red brick and stone, five storeys over basement, four-window range. Ground-floor frontage of stone now painted: two broad basket-arched openings with free-standing column to centre and pilasters to sides; column and pilasters with elaborate foliage cpaitals supporting scrolled consoles, the outer ones with entablature and pediments flanking the fascia and dentil cornice; wooden pub front set back with shallow central bow window having panelled dado and original glazing bars, original double doors to either side; elaborate decorative wrought iron grilles fill the top of the arched openings with 'WHITE BEAR' lettered in them; side walls covered with embossed and glazed tiles, of which some are missing on right-hand wall. Upper windows segmental-arched with decorative keystones and springers, panels of cut and moulded brick between the windows to first, second and third floors, decorative brick aprons throughout and pilasters flanking the whole elevation, panelled at fourth-floor level; shaped coped gable with tympanum of cut and moulded brick with the date 1899; spike finial. INTERIOR: has original bar front, some partitioning with engraved and faceted glass, structural Coninthian column and a stretch of embossed and glassed tilework, now painted.

Listing NGR: TQ3178981962

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 369281

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing