KENSINGTON BAPTIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208763
Date first listed:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
KENSINGTON BAPTIST CHAPEL, STAPLETON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of KENSINGTON BAPTIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208763 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 08:37:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
KENSINGTON BAPTIST CHAPEL, STAPLETON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 60474 74116

Details

BRISTOL

ST6074 STAPLETON ROAD, Easton 901-1/37/1250 (West side) Kensington Baptist Chapel

II

Baptist chapel. 1885. By TL Watson. Limestone ashlar, Pennant ashlar and rubble, roof not visible. Neoclassical style. 2 storeys; 5-window range. A symmetrical front has a pedimented centre broken forward, with rusticated quoin strips to the central section and slightly recessed wings; Pennant plinth, ground-floor cornice, first-floor string, entablature, coped parapet, with the cornice raised across the centre beneath a raised parapet. Steps up to a tripartite doorway, a pedimented centre set forward with an eared architrave, architraves to flanking doors, and 2-leaf 10-panel doors. First-floor distyle-in-antis Corinthian loggia set between paired pilasters with incised anthemia capitals, to an entablature with a panel inscribed BAPTIST CHAPEL; 3 windows behind the columns have pilaster jambs and moulded lintels. Narrow windows to the wings have architraves, taller on the first floor with small pediments. Casements with horizontal glazing bars. Short ashlar returns, to Pennant rubble sides. INTERIOR not inspected. A late but competent use of Classicism for a nonconformist chapel in Bristol, by a Glasgow architect.

Listing NGR: ST6047474116

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380602
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03543/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Phil Draper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].