ST MARY REDCLIFFE AND TEMPLE SCHOOL AND ATTACHED SHEDS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1208813

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: ST MARY REDCLIFFE AND TEMPLE SCHOOL AND ATTACHED SHEDS, STILLHOUSE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MARY REDCLIFFE AND TEMPLE SCHOOL AND ATTACHED SHEDS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208813 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 20:47:35.

Location

Statutory Address: ST MARY REDCLIFFE AND TEMPLE SCHOOL AND ATTACHED SHEDS, STILLHOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 58969 71839

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST315871 STILLHOUSE LANE, Bedminster 901-1/45/388 (East side) St Mary Redcliffe and Temple School and attached sheds

II

Board school. 1895. By WV Gough. Pennant rubble with Pennant and limestone dressings, brick gable stacks and tiled roof with decorative ridges. Symmetrical T-shaped plan with a central hall and flanking wings. Jacobethan style. 2 storeys; 5:1:5-window range. The central block is set back between gabled wings, framed by tall square, ribbed ventilator stacks set in the re-entrant angles, with ground- and first-floor sill bands. The central block has 2 mullion and transom ground-floor windows with elliptical-arched heads and 6 lights, a large full-width semicircular-arched first-floor window with stone tracery, and a Dutch gable above topped by a bellcote. The wings have similar gables to the returns and above semicircular-arched porte cochere to the ends, flat-headed windows with ovolo mouldings, a 2-light first-floor window over the portes cocheres, tall cross windows to the stairs inside the end gables, and 3 mullion windows inside these, all with sashes with glazing bars. INTERIOR: dogleg stairs up to a first-floor hall in the middle block, which has a barrel roof springing from scrolled corbels. Some science rooms with original cupboards and work tops. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: an open shed on cast-iron stanchions extends from the right hand wing to a gable just inside the playground wall with a blocked semicircular arch. One of the best-composed of Bristol's Board Schools, in a restrained and rational manner, remarkable in the context of Gough's more famous work. (Gough W V: Building Plans submitted to the Sanitary Committee, BCC: 1895-).

Listing NGR: ST5922872090

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 380610

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing