27, ST JOHN'S SQUARE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208834
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1994
Statutory Address:
27, ST JOHN'S SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 27, ST JOHN'S SQUARE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208834.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 16:52:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
27, ST JOHN'S SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Islington (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31734 82060

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3182SE ST JOHN'S SQUARE 635-1/74/806 (East side) No.27

GV II

Single house, now offices and workshops. 1876 by Richard Norman Shaw for Sir Edmund Lechmere. Red brick set in English bond, roof of tiles. Five storeys, three-window range. Ground floor has shop or workshop front of early C20 date; first- and second-floor windows segmental-arched with dripmoulds and keystones of gauged brick, two windows grouped to the left, one narrow one to the right, those to the second floor having moulded brick sills; moulded brick storey band merging into eaves cornice; dormers to two floors in the roof, the lower broad and flat-roofed, the upper narrower with hipped roof. INTERIOR: much altered apart from an original fireplace with cast-iron grate in the former ground-floor front room, and the right-hand entrance hall and staircase which are wrapped round the north-east corner of St John's Gate (q.v.), the stonework of which is exposed to the hall and staircase: panelled partition to hall, dogleg stair with stick balusters, additional flight with moulded risers and panelled dado in first-floor passage leading into St John's Gate. Sir Edmund Lechmere had employed Shaw to restore St John's Gate in 1873-4. (Andrew Saint: Richard Norman Shaw: 1976-: P.412.).

Listing NGR: TQ3174182050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
369306
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Saint, A, Richard Norman Shaw, (1976), 412

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03771/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Fuller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].