STOKE HOUSE, CLIFTON THEOLOGICAL COLLEGE, AND ATTACHED REAR KITCHEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1208857
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
STOKE HOUSE, CLIFTON THEOLOGICAL COLLEGE, AND ATTACHED REAR KITCHEN, STOKE HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of STOKE HOUSE, CLIFTON THEOLOGICAL COLLEGE, AND ATTACHED REAR KITCHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208857 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 05:47:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
STOKE HOUSE, CLIFTON THEOLOGICAL COLLEGE, AND ATTACHED REAR KITCHEN, STOKE HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 56376 75509

Details

BRISTOL

ST5675 STOKE HILL, Stoke Bishop 901-1/31/2012 (North East side) 08/01/59 Stoke House, Clifton Theological College, and attached rear kitchen block (Formerly Listed as: STOKE HILL (North East side) Clifton Theological College, Stoke House)

II*

House, now college. Dated 1669. Extended mid C18, extended and partly refaced 1872 by Foster and Wood. Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, ashlar end-gable stacks and tiled double-pile roof. Early centralised double-depth plan with a central hall. Jacobean style with Jacobethan Revival-style refacing. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range. 3 ogee gables and a full-height central porch; a fine late C17 ashlar doorcase has helical columns to naive Corinthian capitals, a segmental pediment over an elliptical doorway, with a heraldic cartouche flanked by angels, and a date panel; above is a pedimented cross window, and to the sides of the porch are late C17 rectangular panels with oval lights, and broken pediments on the ground floor and segmental pediments above; similar lights in the gables. Either side are C19 two-storey bays with bowed fronts and 5 curved and 2 flanking plate-glass sashes with mullions and transoms. Strapwork parapets to bays and porch; in the valley behind a crenellated flat roof above the stair well; 3 groups of 4 ashlar gable stacks in the plain end gables, and ogee gables to rear either side of the stair. INTERIOR: a quadripartite vault on carved springers to the porch; a large central hall with vine-leaf cornice, doorways with eared architraves and panelled reveals, and a fine C17 newel-framed stair with wainscotting, restored mid C19, with carved splat balusters and panelled newels with open pyramid tops and pendants; C18 dogleg stair in the right-hand rear extension, with turned balusters and column newels and a ramped rail; stairs to the attic have turned balusters and panelled newels with ball finials. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached square 3-storey kitchen block to the rear with gables to each side and cross windows. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 474).

Listing NGR: ST5637675509

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380621
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 474

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/11574/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].