LYCHGATE AT SOUTH ENTRANCE TO ST MARYS CHURCHYARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1208874

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Nov-1986

Statutory Address: LYCHGATE AT SOUTH ENTRANCE TO ST MARYS CHURCHYARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LYCHGATE AT SOUTH ENTRANCE TO ST MARYS CHURCHYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208874 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 11:58:27.

Location

Statutory Address: LYCHGATE AT SOUTH ENTRANCE TO ST MARYS CHURCHYARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Bickington

National Grid Reference: SX 79966 72658

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BICKINGTON BICKINGTON SX 77 SE 7/22 Lychgate at south entrance to St 23.8.55 Mary's Churchyard (formerly listed as Church gate) GV II

Lychgate. Build 1901, incorporating an early or mid C16 wooden arch. Roughcast stone and exposed timber-framing. Slated roof with chimney on east gable. Building consists of an open ground storey with 2 small chambers on the east side; above is an enclosed chamber reached by an external stone staircase built round the south and east sides. 2 storeys. Ground storey has wide openings, front and back, with flat wood lintels carried on stone corbels; no windows in side-chambers. Upper storey has widely-spaced vertical studding; 2-light window each side with trefoil-headed lights. In the centre of the open part of the ground storey is the C16 arch, about 2.5 metres wide with shouldered durn jambs, both jambs and lintel heavily moulded and carved with vine and scroll pattern. Within the arch is a centrally-pivoted gate of 1901. The southernmost of the 2 chambers to the east of this contains a panelled wooden seat. On the south face of the building is a metal plaque inscribed: "Mains water to Bickington 11th January 1962". There was certainly an earlier lychgate on this site, for the account of the 1883-4 restoration mentions "the ancient lych gate upon the south approach to the church". Sources: Exeter Flying Post, 11.6.1884. Notes by C Fryer Cornelius displayed in the church.

Listing NGR: SX7997172660

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 85220

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Exeter Flying Post' in 11 June, (1984)

End of official listing