- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- TYTUP HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208891 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 05:39:28.
- Statutory Address:
- TYTUP HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Barrow-in-Furness (District Authority)
- Dalton Town with Newton
- National Grid Reference:
- SD 23576 75980
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD27NW TYTUP 708-1/1/250 Tytup Hall 25/02/50 (Formerly Listed as: DALTON ROAD, Ireleth Tytup Hall)
Small country house. c1710 with early C19 side-wing. For William Matson. Roughcast over stone, graduated slate roof. 2 storeys with cellar and attic, 5 bays; 2-storey, 3-bay side wing set back on left. Chamfered quoins. Central doorway has nosed steps and iron railings with curved handrails; 6-panel door with integral, 6-pane overlight in eared architrave with rosette and segmental pediment. 18-pane sashes in raised ashlar surrounds moulded on their inner edges: 1st-floor sashes of older appearance with thick glazing bars. Shaped kneelers with ball finials; ashlar gable copings; truncated end stacks. Wing on left: sashes with glazing bars to each floor; small end stack on left and tall stack adjoining the main house. Rear: nine 18-pane sashes, 2 of which form stair windows and interrupt a 1st-floor band. INTERIOR: entrance hall has fluted Corinthian pilasters and modillioned cornice. Archivolt through to stair hall: 8-panel doors; staircase with oak treads, panelled dado, wreathed and ramped handrail. Front-right room: modillioned cornice to 2-panel ceiling; niches flank C20 arch through to rear room. Front-left has fielded-panel shutters on H/L hinges. Closet near stairs has fitted cupboard with round-arched doors, fluted pilasters and dentilled cornice. 1st floor: front-right room panelled and with Corinthian pilasters and enriched cornice. Front-left room has false doorway, fireplace flanked by Ionic pilasters, dentilled cornice. Rear-right room: original painted overmantel depicting rural scene with man on horseback and 2 attenders on the approach to a bridge. Back stairs: square and rectangular newels, turned balusters. Described as a new house in an agreement of 1713 (Melville). Later the home of Father Thomas West, a Jesuit and author of 'The Antiquities of Furness' 1774 and 'A Guide to the Lakes' 1778, the former written at Tytup (Holt). (Trans Cumberland & Westmoreland Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc: Melville J: The Chronological Record of Tytup Hall: A re-appraisal: Kendal: 1975-: 258-261).
Listing NGR: SD2357675980
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (1975), 258-261
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing