CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1208908

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1993

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE, DRAYCOMBE DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208908 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 22:15:00.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE, DRAYCOMBE DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 42004 62810

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MORECAMBE AND HEYSHAM

SD46SW DRAYCOMBE DRIVE, Morecambe 939-1/1/35 Church of St John the Divine

II

Church. 1899-1901 by Austin and Paley. Snecked sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Roofs of sandstone slated with pyramidal aluminium roof to crossing tower and aluminium porch roof. Comprises a nave with clerestorey, north and south aisles, south porch, north doorway, crossing tower, south transept, north vestry, and chancel. Windows have Perpendicular tracery. The west window is flanked by buttresses with offsets and is of 4 lights. The clerestoreys are of 5 bays with 4-light windows under segmental heads. The aisle windows are of 2 and 3 lights under flat heads. The south porch has a carved niche above a moulded pointed doorway, and a gable parapet with cross finial. The crossing tower was intended to be higher and the stair projection is now capped with a bellcote. The south window of the transept is of 2 lights with blind tracery panels above and below. To the left is a doorway against a buttress. The south chancel windows are both of 2 lights with circles of flowing tracery below flat heads. The interior is of exposed sandstone. The nave arcades are of 5 bays plus a narrow western bay, with pointed arches which have 2 chamfered orders, octagonal piers without caps, and corbelled shafts supporting the outer arch orders. The open timber nave roof has queen-post trusses alternating with arch-braced collar trusses and has cusped wind braces. The crossing arches are pointed and chamfered in 2 orders, the inner orders carried on corbelled shafts. The crossing is divided from the nave by a low wall of brown-veined alabaster which incorporates a carved pulpit at its southern end. Above the chancel is a boarded barrel roof. A king-post truss has gilded angel corbels. To the east of the truss the panels are painted with monograms within circles. The communion rails have turned balusters and are carved with tracery and vine scroll decoration. The choir stalls also have carved tracery decoration. (Pevsner N).

Listing NGR: SD4200462810

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 391818

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969)

End of official listing