CENTRAL METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208920
Date first listed:
20-Jan-1993
Statutory Address:
CENTRAL METHODIST CHURCH, GREEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CENTRAL METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208920.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 10:21:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CENTRAL METHODIST CHURCH, GREEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Morecambe
National Grid Reference:
SD 43668 64569

Details

MORECAMBE AND HEYSHAM

SD4264 GREEN STREET, Morecambe 939-1/5/37 Central Methodist Church

II

Formerly known as: Green Street Methodist Church. Methodist church. Dated 1876. Coursed squared sandstone with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Italianate style. North, south, and west facades have 2 tiers of round-headed windows with sill bands, impost bands, and sandstone voussoirs. North and south elevations each of 7 bays. West of 4 bays. The moulded gable coping is cattired on a corbel table and has a central antefixa. Within the gable is a circular window, its surround inscribed: 'Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1876'. In front of the central 2 bays is a portico with anthemion frieze and cornice, with 2 round arches carried on granite columns with sandstone foliated capitals. To each side of the entrance steps there are elaborate cast-iron lamp bases. Interior has gallery with timber panelled front, carried on 3 sides by fluted cast-iron columns with foliated capitals. At the east end there is an organ at gallery level and a raised timber pulpit at ground level. The plaster ceiling is divided into panels, those on the central axis having elaborate centrepieces.

Listing NGR: SD4366864569

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391822
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01666/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Malcolm Shaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].