MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208934
Date first listed:
15-Jun-1951
Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE, QUAYFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208934.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 14:40:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE, QUAYFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Ilfracombe
National Grid Reference:
SS 52302 47691

Details

SS5247 853-1/7/116

ILFRACOMBE QUAYFIELD ROAD Manor House 15/06/51

GV II Formerly known as: Manor House, Manor Cottage and Rookery Cottage, QUAYFIELD ROAD.

Imposing detached house with wings. c1750s-70s, with later alterations. Red brick and slated roof with red ridge tiles. Single-room depth as built into hill-side. Three storeys and two storey flanking wings. Seven windows plus single window wings. Central three window canted bay. Red brick pilasters at angles and terracotta floor bands. Entrance to left of canted bay with C20 panelled door. Fluted terracotta keystones to flush framed sashes with exposed boxing; wings with C20 sashes. Brick dentil cornice and parapet.

INTERIOR: Divided into separate accommodation and altered. The town house of the Wreys of Tawstock who were Lords of the Manor; Sir Bourchier Falk Wrey died here in 1879 and appears to be the last member of the family to occupy it. This house is a prominent and important feature of the harbour. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Cherry B: Devon: London: 1952: 503).

Listing NGR: SS5230247691

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390256
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 503

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05084/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].