CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1208952

Date first listed: 13-Dec-1949

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, GUNTON CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208952 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 13:11:27.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, GUNTON CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TM 54229 95752

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LOWESTOFT

TM59NW GUNTON CHURCH LANE, Gunton 914-1/1/92 (West side) 13/12/49 Church of St Peter

II*

Parish Church. C12, re-worked c1340, restored 1700, 1790 and 1901. West tower, continuous nave and chancel, south porch. Whole flints with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs. 3-stage round C12 tower lit through a pointed lancet to lower stage and a rounded lancet to ringing chamber. Four 2-light C14 ogeed belfry windows with one reticulation unit each. Brick parapet of 1985 conceals low conical roof. Brick and flint gabled south porch entered through a 4-centred arch under a square brick hood on labels. One C19 lancet to east and west flanks. Inner south door has one order of Norman zig-zag. The main south wall lit through a central pointed lancet and a C19 two-light Y-tracery window either side. Triple stepped lancets to east end, also C19. The north side has a gabled C19 chancel vestry entered through a doorway in the west return. The main wall is pierced by (east to west) a C13 pointed lancet, a round-headed C12 lancet and a C19 pointed lancet. Next west is a Norman north doorway: 2 orders of engaged shafts with block capitals; the round arch has an outer roll moulding and inner zig-zag. INTERIOR. Round-arched early Norman tower arch with minimal long-and-short quoins. Pews and scissor-braced roof all 1901. 4-centred arch leads on north side to blocked rood stairs. Arched piscina and bench sedilia in chancel.

Listing NGR: TM5422995752

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 391287

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing