74 AND 74A, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1208979
Date first listed:
08-Nov-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Sep-1999
Statutory Address:
74 AND 74A, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 74 AND 74A, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208979.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 13:22:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
74 AND 74A, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Bideford
National Grid Reference:
SS 45337 26601

Details

BIDEFORD

SS4526 HIGH STREET 842-1/5/134 (North side) 08/11/49 Nos.74 AND 74A (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET (North side) Nos.73, 74 AND 74A) GV II*

Large house, now shops with flats above and at rear. Early C17, or possibly earlier; considerably remodelled, and probably enlarged, in C18 and early or mid C19. Solid rendered front. Hipped tiled roof to front range. Base of rendered chimney on right side-wall; other chimneys at rear. Plan: front range double-fronted and double-depth with central through-passage. Upper storeys 3 rooms wide, the front and back rooms separated from each other by a thick wall containing the chimneys; this is probably the original back wall, the range having been doubled in depth in C18 and C19. At the back is a courtyard (largely infilled by a late C20 single-storeyed building) with left and rear ranges possibly of C18 or before; also short projection which may be the rear end of a former right-hand range. 3 storeys; 3-window range. Ground storey has two C20 shop fronts, but small sections of early or mid C19 render with horizontal channelling remain at left-hand end and to left of house-door; also one end of a raised band above the channelling. House-door of similar date to the render: 6-panelled, the 2 lowest panels flush, the top 2 now glazed. Deep panelled reveals; moulded architrave. Upper-storey windows have barred sashes, except for late C19 bay window at right-hand end of second storey. Outer windows wider with 2 pairs of sashes; all are 6-paned, apart from 3-paned upper sashes in third storey. The 2 left-hand second-storey windows have raised cement voussoirs and keyblocks with bevilled edges. Bay window is of 3 lights with sashes, the outer ones curved, the middle one with margin-panes; entablature at the top with panelled frieze; bracketed eaves cornice. Rear wall and courtyard ranges have windows with barred sashes; one in rear range flush-framed. INTERIOR: shops wholly altered, but through-passage has door with 6 ovolo-moulded panels. To left of it, between the shop and the back room, a C19 wooden dog-leg stair with turned newels and balusters. Second-storey rooms in front range have C19 panelled doors; one C18 with 6 ovolo-moulded panels having raised, shaped centres. Right-hand front room has a high-quality moulded early C17 ceiling with broad enriched ribs and flowers in the panels. Third-storey rooms have two C18 2-panelled ovolo-moulded doors with strap-hinges; another 6-panelled door with shaped raised centres to the panels. No 73 (front left-hand side of building) not inspected, but rear range (part of No 74) has old roof with collars halved and pegged to the principal rafters. Other early features, at present concealed under plaster, could survive in any part of this building complex. (Notes from Bridge Trust Records in N Devon Record Office; Bideford Weekly Gazette: 1892-: 5.7.1892, P4; Wilson's Bideford Almanack: 1888-: PP.7, 9).



Listing NGR: SS4532826609

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
375844
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wilson, , Wilsons Bideford Almanack, (1888), 7, 9
'Bideford Weekly Gazette' in 5 July, (1892), 4

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06555/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].