ST ANDREWS SCHOOL (1842 AND 1869 RANGES ONLY)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208998
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1991
Statutory Address:
ST ANDREWS SCHOOL (1842 AND 1869 RANGES ONLY), BLACKPOOL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST ANDREWS SCHOOL (1842 AND 1869 RANGES ONLY)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208998 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 17:07:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST ANDREWS SCHOOL (1842 AND 1869 RANGES ONLY), BLACKPOOL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Preston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 51544 30552

Details

PRESTON

SD53SW BLACKPOOL ROAD, Ashton On Ribble 941-1/1/310 (South side) St Andrew's School (1842 and 1869 ranges only)

GV II

School. 1842, enlarged 1869. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roof. Original building rectangular, on north-south axis; addition at right-angles across south end (and later flat-roofed addition in angle), with further range continued to south. Romanesque style. Single storey; the east front of the original range has a round-headed doorway at the north end, framed by a pilaster and clasping corner pilaster (and the south end probably formerly had a matching entrance bay, but is now covered by the addition in the angle); and a central range of 3 round-headed windows with linked hoodmoulds. The north gable wall has a central pilaster and corner pilasters, 2 similar windows with run-out hoodmoulds, and the date "MDCCCILII" in raised Gothic script in the gable above. Rear rendered. The gable of the crosswing has large rectangular windows, and the range continued southwards from this has pilasters and 4 round-headed windows. Various additions to west and south, not of special interest. Included for group value.

Listing NGR: SD5154430552

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391906
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01753/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].