BISHOP AUCKLAND METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209024
Date first listed:
23-May-1994
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Jul-1995
Statutory Address:
BISHOP AUCKLAND METHODIST CHURCH, COCKTON HILL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BISHOP AUCKLAND METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209024 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 08:07:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
BISHOP AUCKLAND METHODIST CHURCH, COCKTON HILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bishop Auckland
National Grid Reference:
NZ 20964 28977

Details

BISHOP AUCKLAND

NZ22NW COCKTON HILL ROAD 634-1/5/21 (East side) Central Methodist Church

GV II

Wesleyan Methodist Church with hall attached. 1903. By TE Davidson of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. MATERIALS: rock-faced sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; slate roof with stone gable copings, red terracotta ridge and stone spire. PLAN: choir with north organ chamber, chapel with transepts, aisles, west vestibule and north-west tower. Hall at south. Linking passage with north vestry and south schoolroom. Early English style. EXTERIOR: all windows ashlar surrounds and mullions. Choir has tall 3-light window with plate tracery in pointed arch under low gable. Gabled transepts have paired lancets. Similar lights in clerestory, 2-light square headed windows in pent aisles. West elevation has 3 central lancets below central tall pointed chamfered arch with plate tracery to 4 lancet lights below 6-foil and roundels; buttresses define flanking entrance bays and rise through gable peak, inner ones gabled and outer with spirelets. Entrances have chamfered pointed arched surrounds with dripmoulds to boarded double doors with elaborate hinges. Lancets over doors. Tower of 2 high stages has angle buttresses, paired lancets to first stage and tall 2-light window to second. Gutter cornice with angle spouts, ashlar parapet with coped angle blocks. Tall octagonal spire has 4 lucarnes on parapet. South-west vestibule similar to first tower stage has parapet. Link to hall has lancets flanking gabled porch. Hall has flowing tracery in paired 2-light west windows flanked by buttresses with spirelets rising through gable; lancets in outer bays. Porch on left return with schoolroom in aisle behind, right return aisle store and kitchen, rear schoolroom. INTERIOR of church painted plaster with ashlar arcades and dressings and wood gallery. Arcades have wide raised segmental arches on round piers with moulded capitals; choir arch has inner recessed chamfered arch on corbelled shafts. Boarded ceiling with 3 pierced vent roundels to queen post roof, moulded and arch-braced, on moulded stone corbels which rest alternately on clerestory sill string and on arcades. 6 panel doors throughout, at west with glass in top panels, vestry door in fluted architrave with fleur-de-lys finial. FITTINGS include curved arcaded communion rail on step; further step to altar. Panelled wood west gallery. Panelled pews with moulded ends and brass umbrella racks. Half glazed vestibule screens below gallery and to doors within vestibule, all with original glass. Vestibule terrazzo floor with flower motif. Windows mostly have rectangular quarries with panels of floral motifs; north aisle central window commemorates W H Hanflett 1857-1928, signed Abbott & Co., Lancaster. Same signature on other plainer windows and in south aisle window to members of the Curry family d.1905 and 1924, showing Christ with Children. INTERIOR of vestry shows marbled painted chimney piece with incised decoration on pilasters and lintel, and stucco ceiling cornice. Hall and other rooms have boarded dado with rail, much original detail including numbered coat hooks and cast iron radiators `Decorated Patent no. 280475'.

Listing NGR: NZ2096428977

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
385635
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15671/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].