KING'S HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209036
Date first listed:
05-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Jun-1994
Statutory Address:
KING'S HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE, 21, BIRD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of KING'S HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209036.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 13:28:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
KING'S HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE, 21, BIRD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Lichfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Lichfield
National Grid Reference:
SK1155909485

Details

SK1109SE 1094-1/8/28 05/02/52

LICHFIELD BIRD STREET (South West side) No.21 King's Head Public House (Formerly Listed as: BIRD STREET (South West side) King's Head Inn)

GV II

Coaching inn, now public house. Mid to late C18 with early C19 alterations. Brick; tile roof, hipped to right end, with brick end stack. L-plan. Georgian style. 3 storeys; 3-window range. Top cornice. Carriage entrance to right end has rusticated wedge lintel and paired 6-fielded-panel doors. Windows have sills; 2 segmental-headed windows to ground floor have 4:12:4-pane tripartite sashes; upper windows have rubbed brick flat arches, over 12-pane sashes to 1st floor, 6-pane sashes to 2nd floor. Plaque records raising of a regiment of Foot here in 1705, by Col Lillingston, later becoming part of the South Staffordshire Regiment. INTERIOR: heavy chamfered beams and some exposed timber-framing. A good example of one of the coaching inns which served the London to Holyhead and Carlisle road.

Listing NGR: SK1155909485

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
382575
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01367/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey Carver. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].