CHURCH RUINS TO EAST OF CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1209046

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1951

Statutory Address: CHURCH RUINS TO EAST OF CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH RUINS TO EAST OF CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209046 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 07:18:46.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH RUINS TO EAST OF CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Buckfastleigh

National Park: DARTMOOR

National Grid Reference: SX 74286 66567

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUCKFASTLEIGH

SX7466 CHURCH HILL 1011-1/7/4 (North West side) 10/01/51 Chapel ruins to east of Church of Holy Trinity

GV II*

Chapel, possibly detached chantry chapel. Ruinous. c1300. Local grey slatestone rubble with freestone dressings. Plan: roofless ruin of an aisleless building of which the E wall, part of the S wall and a small section of the N wall remain. EXTERIOR: very thick walls with putlock holes and a wide, deeply splayed E window, dressed externally with alternating bands of chamfered red and cream stone with a glazing rebate. The surviving dressings suggest a trefoil-headed window. The S side retains the remains of a similarly-decorated probable lancet to the E, the sill mended with mullions; a doorway with a cranked relieving arch (dressings gone) and the E jamb of another window. The N side preserves the fragmentary remains of the E jamb of another window. INTERIOR: preserves the fragmentary remains of wall plaster. Close inspection reveals some traces of red and yellow painted decoration on the splay of the E window. A very unusual survival.

Listing NGR: SX7428666567

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 392237

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing