Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209153.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2021 at 06:17:52.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Harborough (District Authority)
Claybrooke Parva
National Grid Reference:
SP 49614 87913


CLAYBROOKE PARVA MAIN STREET SP48NE 1323-0 2/33 (South side) 11/01/55 Church of St Peter I

Parish church. Possible C12 remains, rebuilt circa 1300 with chancel of circa 1340 in curvilinear Decorated style. Nave possibly rebuilt towards end of C14 (see nave arcades). Tower rebuilt in early C17 with stones dated 1614 in second stage and 1615 in top stage. Some work, including the blocking-up of the east window, before 1810. Restored by G E Street, 1876-78. Random rubble stone with ashlar dressings, quoins, buttresses and roof and gable-parapets. Plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave with north and south aisles and north and south porches, chancel. Three-stage tower with diagonal buttresses away from church and side angle buttresses against church. Stages, of which second is very shallow, separated by dripmoulds and topmost stage surmounted by crenellated parapet with corner obelisk finials. Single quatrefoil openings below parapet with early C17, Perpendicular-style windows in same stage below, of four lights, two on two, each with semi-circular cusped head and upper quatrefoil. West window, probably of C14, restored, of two lights with single upper light in chamfered surround with hollow-chamfered hoodmould carried across face of tower. Small window on second stage to south, partially hidden by clock face on north side. Nave with lower aisles and four-bay clerestorey with identical windows, though longer, to right on two-bay north aisle and at west end of that aisle. Window with Y tracery to left of gabled porch on north aisle. South aisle with two-light window to right, probably a C17 copy of C14 work, and a wide C15 or even C16 window to left. Central gabled porch with hollow-chamfered outer surround. Three-bay chancel with identical curvilinear decorated tracery of mouchettes and trefoils over three lights to all windows, which are surmounted by slightly ogee hoodmoulds and separated by buttresses with crocketted and gabled canopies to niches below and similar canopies, without crockets, to the weatherings above. Below the lefthand south window is a very small two-light window. Below the central north window are two doorways, the lefthand one round-arched and probably the remains of a C12 former priest's doorway to the former sacristy, now gone, but the gabled roofline of which remains against the south aisle, and the righthand one with a triple hollow-chamfered ogee surround and the remains of side crocketted finials. East window, flanked by buttresses similar to those of the sides of the chancel, with five lights topped by curvilinear tracery, by Street, 1876-78. Interior: double-chamfered tower arch. Four-bay nave arcades with late C14 red sandstone piers with four shafts and four hollows, carrying arches with double wave-mouldings. Clerestorey above. Pre-C14 roof line visible at west end against tower. C14 nave roof with brattished tie-beams, arcaded in the spandrels of the braces and to either side of the king-posts. Moulded ridge-piece and purlins; various moulded bosses. Restored 1876-78, but with retention of C14 work. Blocked pointed rood-loft doorway to left of chancel arch. C14 tower arch with double chamfers on piers similar to those of the nave arcades. Wave-moulded rere-arches to chancel windows. Hoodmoulds with head stops. Fittings: font, probably by Street, 1876-78. Stone with octagonal bowl with leaf and tracery decorated panels on octagonal base with piers in corners. Arcaded and traceried stone pulpit, also probably by Street, 1876-78. Other furnishings later C19 in date. Remains of the base of roodscreen, probably C15. Some C14 stained glass fragments in chancel windows. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Williamson E, Brandwood G: Leicestershire and Rutland: London: 1984-: 131-2).

Listing NGR: SP4961487913


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 131-132


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/05246/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Arnold. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]