CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1209203
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHALE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209203 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 05:30:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHALE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chale
National Grid Reference:
SZ 48323 77567

Details

CHALE

SZ47NE CHALE STREET 1353-0/5/64 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW 18/01/67 II*

Parish church. Chancel, south or Manor chapel and the Nave and aisles are C14. In the C15 the Manor chapel was lengthened eastwards, the Nave and aisles westwards and the north and south porches and west tower added. East end of chancel added in 1832 to make it flush with the east end of the Manor chapel. Built of Isle of Wight stone rubble with tiled roof. Nave, north and south aisles, south chapel, north and south porches and west tower. West tower C15 of 2 stages coursed stone rubble with higher octagonal stair turret and crenellated parapet. Lancet to bell stage with quatrefoil motif. Buttresses. Plinth. Lower stage has west window with 3 lancets with cusped heads under dripmoulding. South porch C15 of stone, gabled with round-headed arch. Interior has remains of stone stoup with trefoil head. North porch also C15, stone with gable and cross-shaped saddle stone. Nave has 3 cinquefoil headed lights, 1 single, 2 double. South aisle has 3 double cinquefoil-headed lights, the right hand one with hood moulding. Interior: Nave has 2 bay south arcade with round piers, square abacus chamfered at the corners and pointed arches with one slight chamfer. Third bay is Perpendicular. Entrance to rood loft c.1300. Arch to Manor Chapel. Nave has piscina with elaborate Perpendicular brackets. Octagonal stone font. South aisle has stone wall monument to Richard Burleigh rector of Chale d.1734. Open pediment at the top crowned by heaped books. Black marble oval plaque and metal coat of arms beneath. Manor chapel has piscina in south wall with shelf over. North wall has monument to Sir Henry Worsley of the Bengal Army d.1841, a marble wall plaque with crest above flanked by Bengal lancers. Oak frieze and cusped arch. C12 round-headed arch to south chapel with moulded impost block. Some stained glass of 1860s, rest by C.E. Kempe in 1890s. (B.O.E. "Hampshire and the Isle of Wight": 740).

Listing NGR: SZ4832377567

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
392665
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 740

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00259/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Rev Robert Rudd. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].