REMAINS OF THE OBELISK TO APPULDURCOMBE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209226
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1993
Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF THE OBELISK TO APPULDURCOMBE, APPULDURCOMBE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF THE OBELISK TO APPULDURCOMBE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209226 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 14:51:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF THE OBELISK TO APPULDURCOMBE, APPULDURCOMBE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Godshill
National Grid Reference:
SZ 53659 80238

Details

GODSHILL

SZ58SW APPULDURCOMBE ROAD 1353-0/4/120 Remains of the Obelisk to Appuldurcombe

II

Plinth of obelisk. 1774. Ashlar 3 stepped plinth. This is all that remains of a monument bearing a granite obelisk 70 feet high erected by Sir Richard Worsley the seventh Baronet of Appuldurcombe in memory of his ancestor Sir Robert Worsley who died on 20th July 1747. The obelisk was struck by lightning in 1831 and only the plinth remains.

Listing NGR: SZ5365980238

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
392727
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 23 Isle of Wight,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14633/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Ian Webb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].