HOY'S MONUMENT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209244
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Nov-1993
Statutory Address:
HOY'S MONUMENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOY'S MONUMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209244 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 00:44:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOY'S MONUMENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chale
National Grid Reference:
SZ 49597 78800

Details

GODSHILL

SZ457NE ST CATHERINE'S DOWN 1353-0/5/192 Hoy's Monument 18/01/67 (Formerly Listed as: CHALE Hoy's Mmonument)

II

Monument. 1814 with further tablet added in 1857. Comprizes a large tapering tooled ashlar Tuscan column surmounted by a cornice and large ball finial on large tooled ashlar plinth with moulded cornice and base. On one side of the plinth is the inscription "In commemoration of the visit of His Majesty Alexander I Emperor of all the Russias to Great Britain in 1814. In remembrance of many happy years residence in his dominions this pillar was erected by Michael Hoy. (He was the owner of the Hermitage, of which only the stables remain from this period). On the opposite side is the inscription "This tablet was erected by William Henry Dawes Late Lieutenant of HM 22nd Regiment in honour of those brave men of the allied armies who fell on the Alma and at the siege of Sebastepol AD 1857. A prominent land and sea mark.

Listing NGR: SZ4959778800

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
392783
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04752/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Hadley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].