GODSHILL COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209245
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Nov-1993
Statutory Address:
GODSHILL COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, SCHOOL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GODSHILL COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209245 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 04:49:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
GODSHILL COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, SCHOOL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Godshill
National Grid Reference:
SZ5262981966

Details

GODSHILL

SZ5281 SCHOOL ROAD 1353-0/7/180 Godshill County Primary School 18/01/67 (Formerly Listed as: SCHOOL ROAD Godshill Parochial School)

GV II

Primary School, formerly Grammar school. 1826 in Classical style. Built of Isle of Wight coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roof. 1 storey; 3 windows. 1 bay added at east end in 1881 in painted brick. Gabled projection containing tablet and round-headed doorcase in arcading with keystone and impost blocks. Round-headed fanlight and double doors. 3 triple sash windows with keystones. C20 extension to rear not of special interest. Inscription on tablet over gable reads "Godshill Parochial School founded by Lady Ann Worsley previous to 1615 rebuilt by the Right Honourable Lord Yarborough 1826". (B.O.E. "Hampshire and the Isle of Wight": 747).

Listing NGR: SZ5262981966

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
392785
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 747

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11939/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Claire Pearce. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].