This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1209258



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Isle of Wight

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Niton and Whitwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 392812

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SZ5076 CHURCH STREET, Niton 1353-0/8/241 CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST 18/01/67


Parish church. Nave C11, chancel C13 lengthened in C14 when south porch was also built. C15 south chapel, south aisle and tower spire added in C17. North aisle rebuilt in 1864 on the site of C13 north aisle which had been demolished in the C15. Cornewall Jones architect. Built of Isle of Wight stone rubble with ashlar dressings and tiled roof. Nave and chancel in one, aisles, south porch and west tower. West tower in 3 stages with angle buttresses. Moulded band to plinth and between lower and middle stages. South turret. Crenellated parapet. Ribbed 8 sided stone spire with iron weathercock. West door arched with heavy hood mould. North aisle of 1864 has 3 lancet windows. South aisle has 3 C15 paired cinquefoil-headed windows with drip moulding. Buttresses. South porch is gabled with cross-shaped saddlestone. Arch with dying mouldings. Chancel has east window with triple trefoil headed light ribbed on the inside. Vestry by chancel C19 with triple cinquefoil light window with reset grotesque mask above. Interior: 3 bay nave with plain round headed arches with circular columns to south and 1 circular column and 1 chamfered square column to north. Norman font of cauldron shape with rope moulding at the top. Coat of arms of George III. C13 chancel arch with chamfered corners. Squint. Bowl-shaped piscina. South chapel has piscina and 4 wall monuments, the best being a medallion by Flaxman to George Arnold Esq. d.1806. Roofs boarded over in nave and aisles, probably C19, and C19 chancel roof canted in 8 cants with elaborate floriate bosses. C19 pews and pulpit. Fine C17 chair carved with oak emblems and another with swansneck top. (Pevsner: B.O.E. Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: 754).

Listing NGR: SZ5052176771

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 754

National Grid Reference: SZ 50521 76771


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209258 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2017 at 11:04:30.

End of official listing