Eastbrook, Westbrook, The Old Coach House, Northbrook, Southbrook and Brook House


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Eastbrook, Westbrook, The Old Coach House, Northbrook, Southbrook and Brook House, Brook, Newport, PO30 4EJ


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209295.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2021 at 15:36:04.


Statutory Address:
Eastbrook, Westbrook, The Old Coach House, Northbrook, Southbrook and Brook House, Brook, Newport, PO30 4EJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 39154 84189


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/04/2018

SZ38SE 1354-0/7/17

BRIGHSTONE BROOK Eastbrook, Southbrook, Northbrook, Westbrook, Brook House and The Old Coach House

(Formerly listed as Eastbrook, Southbrook, Northbrook, Westbrook, Little Quarters and The Old Coach House)

GV II Originally one house called Brook House, now subdivided into flats. The north west wing, namely Northbrook and Westbrook, and The Old Coach House are C18, altered C20, erected by the Bowerman family who held the manor from the C14 until 1792, altered and extended by Charles Seely, first Baronet, c1850.

North west wing is C18. Three storeys, mainly of stone rubble with some brickwork to second floor. Tiled roof hipped to one end. Three windows, mainly cambered twelve-pane casements and projecting stone chimneybreast. To the north west is The Old Coach house, also C18 altered in C20. Built of stone rubble with red brick dressings. Tiled roof with white brick chimneystack. Three C20 hipped dormers. Ground floor has two twelve-pane sashes with cambered surrounds and similar door. Two cross-shaped iron ties.

Attached to the south is Seely's c1850 extension, also in stone rubble. Two storeys; ten windows. Stone parapet with seven urns. Eight sashes with cambered heads and two round-headed sashes, the five windows to the right hand side being blacked out, with the building behind demolished in the 1950s. To the left hand side is an entrance arch and six pilasters. The garden front of Southbrook and Brook House has a projecting two storey right hand bay, small first floor bay to left with larger bay underneath and elaborate stone Italianate splayed porch with pilasters and round-headed arches. Southbrook has a c1850 stuccoed ceiling with urns, swags and floral motifs, a c1850 fireplace with tiled surround, console brackets and ovolo moulding and a c1850 dining room plastered ceiling with circular motifs and bay leafs.Eastbrook has three c1850 pelmets.

Garibaldi stayed here as a guest of Charles Seely in 1864 and there is a tradition that Italian workmen were employed on the ceilings and porch. One of the original Domesday manors.

Listing NGR: SZ3915484189


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Winter, CWR, The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight, (1985), 184


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04003/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Barlow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].