Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209306.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2021 at 15:40:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 42792 82775



SZ4282 MAIN ROAD 1354-0/11/50 (South West side) Village Shop


Village shop, probably originally farm building. Early C18. Materials: Stone rubble. Thatch. The ground plan is of a simple rectangular building with a modern square extension to the rear. The building is one storey with attic. The facade has colour washed stone dressings. There are two eyebrow dormer windows, a central modern doorcase with modern leaded window to the right and doorcase to the left with stilted arch and modern double doors. At the right end is a modern leaded casement at attic level. The modern brick extension at the rear of the property is accesed via a glass paned door. Internally the ground floor is one undivided area which is now the shop. Beams in the ceiling of the shop appear to be of no great age. HISTORY: The building may have originated as a farm building. By the C19 it appears to have been a public house called the `Five Bells', and some time after this became a house before conversion to a shop. SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The Village Shop at Brighstone has undergone a number of changes of use through its three hundred year history. Despite the alterations the C18 footprinat and fabric remain substantially intact and readable as a good quality vernacular building of pre-1840 date.

Listing NGR: SZ4283882725


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08877/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin Harper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].