THE RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1209310

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951

Statutory Address: THE RECTORY, RECTORY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209310 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 18:58:56.

Location

Statutory Address: THE RECTORY, RECTORY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Brighstone

National Grid Reference: SZ 42929 82643

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHSTONE

SZ4282 RECTORY LANE 1354-0/11/64 The Rectory 21/07/51

GV II

Rectory. C18 extended in mid C19. Core is of black brick in header bond with red brick dressings, the rest stone rubble. Slate.roof with brick chimneystacks. 2 storeys 5 windows. 2 parallel ranges. Front range is mainly C18 brickwork. 1st floor has 3 C19 casements and 2 mid C19 sashes without glazing bars, all in surrounds with cambered head linings. Ground floor has 3 15-pane sashes and 2 brick buttresses. Large C19 Gothic stone porch to right hand side and C19 stone rubble addition to right with C19 brick twisted chimneystacks. Left side elevation has gable with tumbling in. The rear range has 1 2-light window with hood moulding and below this an obtusely pointed stone doorcase flanked by pointed side lights, all under dripmoulding. Interior has C18 staircase and some C17 panelling. The house was occupied by Samuel Wilberforce, later Bishop of Oxford and Winchester,during his incumbancy from 1830-40, and during the 1st 3 of these years his father William Wilberforce the philanthropist who died in 1833 spent much time with him here.

Listing NGR: SZ4292982643

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 392961

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing