FULLINGSMILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209327
Date first listed:
28-Mar-1994
Statutory Address:
FULLINGSMILL, NEWPORT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FULLINGSMILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209327 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 16:32:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
FULLINGSMILL, NEWPORT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Calbourne
National Grid Reference:
SZ 41859 86822

Details

CALBOURNE

SZ48NW NEWPORT ROAD 1354-0/6/115 Fullingsmill

II

House, formerly farmhouse. South end C17 remainder C18. Built of stone rubble, the C18 part with red brick dressings. Tiled roof with 2 brick chimneystacks. South end has gable with kneelers and 1 mullioned window, 3 light to 2nd floor and 5 light to ground and 1st floors. Deep plinth. Right hand part of lower elevation 2 storeys 2 windows. Plinth. Lean to to rear with slate roof. In existence by 1630 as it is described in the survey of the Manor of Swainston & Brighstone as "fairely built, conteyning a parlor with a chimney, the parlor chamber with a chimney and a garret over it and a sellar under the parlor, all fairley built of stone". In addition to the parlour wing there was Also a hall with a chimney, a chamber with a chimney and two other rooms. Also six rooms above staires over these whereof one hath a chimney. Also a kitchen with a chimney, a milkhouse, a larder and another rome and three romes over these. (Marion Brinton: Farmhouses and Cottages of the Isle of Wight: 127 AND 128).

Listing NGR: SZ4185986822

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
393003
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brinton, M, Farmhouses and Cottages of the Isle of Wight, (1981), 127-128

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14529/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Claire Pearce. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].