ALEXANDRA HOUSE ORCHARD BROTHERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209375
Date first listed:
28-Mar-1994
Statutory Address:
ALEXANDRA HOUSE, VICTORIA ROAD
Statutory Address:
ORCHARD BROTHERS, VICTORIA ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALEXANDRA HOUSE
ORCHARD BROTHERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209375 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 08:31:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
ALEXANDRA HOUSE, VICTORIA ROAD
Statutory Address:
ORCHARD BROTHERS, VICTORIA ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Freshwater
National Grid Reference:
SZ 34136 86162

Details

FRESHWATER

SZ38NW VICTORIA ROAD 1354-0/4/242 Orchard Bros. & Alexandra House

II

Shop and house. c.1865. Purpose built grocers shop with adjoining accommodation. Polychrome brickwork, yellow brick with red brick dressings. Part of roof slate the rest covered in modern pantiles with brick eaves cornice. 2 storeys. Roughly triangular corner building. The corner has 4 sashes with triangular tops and original 6 bay shopfront with pilasters and 2 arches. Victoria Road elevation has 6 triangular headed windows and original shopfront. Alexandra House has a 4 panelled door and integral extension with 6 sashes and 1 cambered sash to ground floor. Bedbury Lane has 4 windows and shop front with floral motif. Included as an unaltered example of a High Victorian shop.

Listing NGR: SZ3413686162

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
393131
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/12358/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barry Senior. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].