CHURCHILL'S FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209377
Date first listed:
28-Mar-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCHILL'S FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCHILL'S FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209377 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 14:56:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCHILL'S FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shalfleet
National Grid Reference:
SZ 39730 86756

Details

SHALFLEET

SZ38NE Churchill's Farmhouse 1354-0/5/257

II

House, formerly farmhouse. Probably early C17 building with late C17 aleterations and further alterations in C19. Built of stone rubble. Slate roof with end brick chimneystacks. 2 storeys and basement: 3 windows. Early example of end stack house. 1st floor has 3 C17 mullioned windows. Ground floor has lost its original windows but the hood moulding remains and the windows are smaller mid C19 6 paned sashes with patches of brickwork at the sides. Central porch with gable and kneelers. Rear elevation has outshut and slate inscribed "1666 Londinium". Interior has cellar with breadoven, stone chimneypiece with wooden bressumer, crane for pots and wattle and daub walls. Kitchen on ground floor has ovolo moulded spine beam with lambs tongue stops and raised plank panelling. Parlour has a fire window stone fireplace with wooden bressumer and overmantel (which was originally plastered in the centre) with end elaborate carved wooden pilasters. Ovolo-moulded spine beam with lambs tongue stop and bulbous pendant decoration above elaborate pilaster. Panelling is late C17 or early C18. (Marion Brinton: Farmhouses and Cottages of the Isle of Wight: 71).

Listing NGR: SZ3973086756

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
393133
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brinton, M, Farmhouses and Cottages of the Isle of Wight, (1981), 71

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03804/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Rev Robert Rudd. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].