NINGWOOD MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1209391

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: NINGWOOD MANOR HOUSE, WELLOW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NINGWOOD MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209391 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 06:55:34.

Location

Statutory Address: NINGWOOD MANOR HOUSE, WELLOW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shalfleet

National Grid Reference: SZ 40152 88797

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHALFLEET

SZ48NW WELLOW ROAD 1354-0/6/271 Ningwood Manor House 18/01/67

GV II*

Manor house, now house. Part of rear wing is of c.1650 with principal range of c.1784 built by John Pinhorn and an early C19 extension to the rear. South front of c.1780 is of coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings and rusticated quoins. Slate roof with end stone chimney- stack. 2 storeys 5 windows. 12-pane sashes with horns. Central door-case with wooden Tuscan portico and 6 panelled door approached up a flight of 5 stone steps. Moulded stone eaves cornice and most unusual balustrade with 3 fluted urns, the central one with swags, and 4 sections of balustrading and 2 sections with chinoiserie panels. To the rear are stone rubble wings with hipped tiled roofs, the left hand section having stone plinth. 1st floor has one 12-paned sash, 1 triple casement and a double casement and a C19 casement to the ground floor. The centre part is recessed with 2 1st floor 12-pane sashes and 2 ground floor 16-pane sashes. Interior has c.1784 staircase with 3 turned balusters to each step and plastered soffit. One of the original Domesday Manors, in the C12 it passed to the Priory of Christchurch and remained as a monastic grange until 1536. In 1784 John Pinhorn Esq., a banker in London and a native of Newport built the south wing. (C W R Winter: The manor Houses of the Isle of Wight: 109 - 110; Blackmansbury Nos 5 & 6 (Oct and Dec 1970): 82 - 87).

Listing NGR: SZ4015288797

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 393171

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Winter, CWR , The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight109-110
'Blackmansbury' in December, , Vol. 6, (1970), 82-87
'Blackmansbury' in October, , Vol. 5, (1970), 82-87

End of official listing