CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN (OLD)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1209421
Date first listed:
21-Jul-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN (OLD)

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN (OLD)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209421.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 12:52:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN (OLD)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Yarmouth
National Grid Reference:
SZ3671189139

Details

YARMOUTH

SZ38NE THORLEY 1354-0/5/406 CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN (Old Church) 21/07/51

GV II*

Remains of former Parish church, now a mortuary chapel. C13 porch with bellcote over remaining from a church built of Amicitia, wife of Baldwin de Redvere, Earl of Devon, which was demolished in 1871 when the modern church was built at Thorley Street and the remains of the old church were converted into a mortuary chapel. Built of stone rubble with tiled roof. Gable ended. All corners have angled buttresses. South front has 3 centred doorway over which is a tablet with the inscription "This mortuary chapel was built in May 1871. The Ancient portion formed the bell turret of the old Church of Thorley" C19 diagonally planked door. Above is a lancet window. East and West sides have rectangular bell openings with dripmould below and louvred shutters. North side had double lancet window. (N. Pevsner: B O E Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: 771).

Listing NGR: SZ3671189139

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
393245
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 771

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/11804/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barry Senior. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].