ELKINS BROTHERS, GENTLEMENS OUTFITTERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209539
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1990
Statutory Address:
ELKINS BROTHERS, GENTLEMENS OUTFITTERS, 85, STROUD GREEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELKINS BROTHERS, GENTLEMENS OUTFITTERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209539 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 05:38:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
ELKINS BROTHERS, GENTLEMENS OUTFITTERS, 85, STROUD GREEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Islington (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31040 87200

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3187SW STROUD GREEN ROAD 635-1/10/833 (South West side) 25/09/90 No.85 Elkins Brothers, Gents Outfitters

II

Terraced house of mid-C19 with shop front of c.1905. Yellow brick set in Flemish bond, stucco, roof obscured by parapet. Three storeys, three windows to Stroud Green Road, two to Tollington Park. The shop front has a base of marble and granite, and flat-arched windows of three bays to either side of corner entrance with curved glazing; flat-arched entrance with overlight. The windows are divided by slim columns with one transom which break into small branches of simpler Art Nouveau character below the fascia; the earlier fascia of Thomas Swan and Co., Hosiers, is temporarily partly exposed behind that of Elkins Brothers, following an accident in 1986. Stucco surround to corner clock of c.1930. First- and second-floor windows segmental-arched with stucco heads and keystones, except that the second-floor windows on Stroud Green Road have been altered to a flat arch. Cornice on Tollington Park, with blocking course; parapet only on Stroud Green Road. The interior is that of an early C20 men's outfitters; the general arrangement of the shop and some of the fittings date from 1905 when Thomas Swan and Co. took over the shop; the fittings were slightly altered and added to in 1929 when the shop passed into the hands of Elkins Brothers; and no alterations have been made since 1949. Ceiling carried on cast-iron columns; mirror panels to window walls; fitted and in some cases glazed drawers to inner walls, and glazed free-standing showcases; surviving gas lamps; cast-iron bolted spiral staircase. The first-floor front room towards Tollington Park has a good late-C19 cast-iron fireplace with painted tiles in the cheeks. (Information from staff of Elkins Brothers).

Listing NGR: TQ3104087200

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
369360
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00893/02
Rights: Copyright IoE J. Callon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].