THE PHEASANT INN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209553
Date first listed:
22-Mar-1974
Statutory Address:
THE PHEASANT INN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PHEASANT INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209553.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 16:10:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PHEASANT INN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 39346 55897

Details

CARLISLE

NY3955 CHURCH STREET, Caldewgate 671-1/9/95 (South side) 22/03/74 The Pheasant Inn

II

Public house, probably originally a row of 3 houses. Late C18 with extensive C19 and C20 alterations. Painted stucco walls over brick. Graduated greenslate roof; with stucco end chimney stacks. 2-storey, 5 bays, with lower rear 3-bay extensions on returns, forming overall U-shape. 2 symmetrically-placed double plank doors and patterned overlights in plain reveals. Sash windows with glazing bars, that in centre is a canted oriel, all in plain reveals. Modern fascia and sign over ground floor windows. Projecting beam at right supports a carved wooden pheasant. Similar doors and windows in returns and extensions. INTERIOR: extensive C20 alterations. Asquith' Survey of 1853 does not show this as a pub, it appears on the 1865 OS map as the Silloth Railway Inn (that railway was opened on 28 August 1856). It was called The Pheasant for the first time in the 1873 directory. Became a State Managed pub in 1916 and sold out of state control in 1972. Removal of stucco in 1970s revealed blocked earlier windows.

Listing NGR: NY3934655897

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
386681
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/10729/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Duncan Keeler. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].