6, ABERCORN PLACE NW8

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209579
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
6, ABERCORN PLACE NW8

Map

Ordnance survey map of 6, ABERCORN PLACE NW8
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209579.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 20:27:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
6, ABERCORN PLACE NW8

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26284 83040

Details



1900/11/57 ABERCORN PLACE NW8 01-DEC-87 ST JOHNS WOOD (South side) 6

GV II



Detached villa. C.1820. Yellow stock brick with shallow hipped slate roof. Two storeys over raised basement. EXTERIOR: North-facing entrance front of three bays, with central flight of steps flanked by railings leading to a Doric porch with fluted columns. 6/6-pane sashes to raised ground floor with balconettes enriched with strigillation and gauged arches; similar, but 8/8-pane, to first floor. West side elevation with projecting chimneybreasts, central bay with windows to raised ground and first floors with decorative ironwork. Pair of chimneystacks to each side. Rear elevation of three bays, lower central window to stair over projecting raised ground floor bay; windows retain decorative ironwork. INTERIOR: Not inspected, but reported as retaining numerous early features including plasterwork, joinery, marble chimneypieces, open string staircase with stick balusters and mahogany handrail. HISTORY: one of the earlier villas in this part of St John's Wood, this house probably dates from the 1820s: it is shown on Crutchley's map of London of 1829. It is a handsome Neoclassical villa which remains little altered. From 1879 to 1888 it was the home of Edward John Gregory RA (1850-1909), a noted late Victorian painter and sometime President of the Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours.





Listing NGR: TQ2628483040

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
208462
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/04969/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Keeler. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].