CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209583
Date first listed:
13-Nov-1972
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209583.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2021 at 19:05:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NY 40144 57043

Details

CARLISLE

NY4057SW CHURCH STREET, Stanwix 671-1/4/97 (South side) 13/11/72 Church of St Michael

GV II

Church of England church on a medieval site. 1841-3 by John Hodgson; 1843 repairs; 1893 alterations and 1907 extension. Red sandstone ashlar in irregularly-coursed small blocks, on chamfered plinth, with clasping buttresses carried up as pinnacles on tower and nave; stone-bracketed metal gutters. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finials. West 3-stage square tower/porch; 10-bay nave with transepts; apsidal chancel with north organ chamber (former vestry) and south vestry extension. Built in Commissioners style. Tower has west double plank doors in painted chamfered arch; tall lancets above on 2 levels, the upper ones with louvred vents; clock faces on 3 sides. Nave and transepts have tall lancet windows. Vestries have 2- and 3-light windows some with cusped heads, others rounded. Apse has arcade of small round-arched windows. INTERIOR: rib-vaulted plaster ceiling in nave and apse. Windows mostly of plain glass; some C20 stained glass. C19 painted board giving list of church benefactors and Hanoverian kings' arms 1714-1801. Late C19 hexagonal wooden pulpit and benches. 1893 granite-pillared sandstone font. Extensive white marble wall plaques some with carved portrait heads, draped figures etc, to Robert Ferguson d.1816 (see Marshall Hall, 1979), Eliza Graham d.1852 and John Chambers d.1850 are all by John Kirkbride 1786-1854; Esther Bonnel d.1822, Isabella Patrickson d.1854, Charles James Graham d.1847 and Wm Sowerby d.1855 are all by Thomas Nelson 1807-90; Charles Wm Thompson d.1843 by Christopher Woodall 1795-1859; Maria Woodrouffe Head d.1854 by Bedford of Oxford (this is probably J Bedford of Oxford Street, London); Capt Hugh Patrickson d.1821 by Paul Nixson 1768-1850. HISTORY: The foundation stone was laid on 1 June 1841 and it opened in 1843, but a fire on 21 December 1843 destroyed the wooden fitments and roof; for further details see Taylor (1982). Built on the site of a Roman Wall fort. (Marshall Hall: The Artists of Cumbria: 1979-: P.50; Taylor G: A Brief History of Stanwix: 1982-).

Listing NGR: NY4014457043

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
386682
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hall, M, The Artists of Cumbria, (1979), 50
Taylor, G, A Brief History of Stanwix, (1982)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].