CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1209882

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST JAMES' PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209882 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 12:52:41.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST JAMES' PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 35277 89049

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3589 SW ST. JAMES' PLACE L8

59/1045 Church of St. - James

G.V. II*

Church. Nave and west tower, 1774-5, C.Bisbrowne. Chancel, 1900, H.Havelock Sutton. Brick with stone dressings. Nave of 5 bays with 2 tiers of windows. Sill bands and cornice with stone-coped brick parapet. Round-headed windows have flat architraves and impost blocks, the western windows are blocked (1984). 4-stage tower has sill bands, cornice and embattled brick parapet. Round-headed windows. The 3rd stage has 3-face clock above windows. Top stage has paired, louvred bell openings. West entrance has stucco flat architrave with decorated frieze and consoled cornice (now damaged 1984). Flanking porches probably c.1900. Chancel has organ chamber to north and vestry under lean-to-roofs. Triple round-headed lights and east window with round tracery. Interior has gallery on 3 sides on slender quatrefoil columns. Arch-braced collar roof has pendants and wall piers with some corbel heads. Round chancel arch and barrel vaulted chancel. Round-arched opening to organ chamber. Stained glass east window by H. Holiday 1881; other windows mostly broken and lower windows have inserted C20 louvres to lower halves (1984). Several wall tablets dating from 1790s to 1840s. Said to have C18 iron sword rest. The cast iron columns supporting the galleries are the earliest remaining example in Liverpool and one of the earliest examples in the country.

Listing NGR: SJ3527789049

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 359399

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing