ROYAL COLLEGE OF NURSING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1210070
Date first listed:
05-May-1958
Statutory Address:
ROYAL COLLEGE OF NURSING, 20, CAVENDISH SQUARE W1

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROYAL COLLEGE OF NURSING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1210070.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 01:53:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROYAL COLLEGE OF NURSING, 20, CAVENDISH SQUARE W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28750 81311

Details

TQ 2881 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER CAVENDISH SQUARE W1 56/68 (west side)

No 20 (Royal College of 5.5.58 Nursing)

- II

Substantial town house 1729. Refronted and incorporated by Sir Edwin Cooper in 1930 into his redevelopment of the corner site with Henrietta Place. Five storeys basement and dormers in attic, classical Portland stone facing. Five windows. Rusticated ashlar central enclosed porch. Interior of original structure retains fielded panelled rooms with carved marble chimneypieces to ground, first and second floors. Cut string staircase with wrought iron balustrade, the stairwell and its ceiling painted in trompe l'oeil-artists probably include John Devoto and Sir James Thornhill. Residence of H H Asquith: GLC plaque. One of the earliest houses in the square.

Listing NGR: TQ2875081311

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
209054
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/09902/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].