FALCON WORKS POT BANK OCCUPIED BY PORTMERION POTTERIES LIMITED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1210472
Date first listed:
20-Aug-1979
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Mar-1993
Statutory Address:
FALCON WORKS POT BANK OCCUPIED BY PORTMERION POTTERIES LIMITED, STURGESS STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FALCON WORKS POT BANK OCCUPIED BY PORTMERION POTTERIES LIMITED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1210472 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 05:15:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
FALCON WORKS POT BANK OCCUPIED BY PORTMERION POTTERIES LIMITED, STURGESS STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Stoke-on-Trent (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 87382 44939

Details

STOKE ON TRENT

SJ84SE STURGESS STREET 613-1/6/140 (North West side) 20/08/79 Falcon Works Pot Bank occupied by Portmerion Potteries Ltd (Formerly Listed as: LONGTON Falcon Works Main Block on NW side of Yard) (Formerly Listed as: LONGTON Two bottle kilns at Falcon Works premises occupied by Portmerion Potteries Ltd)

GV II

Remains of pot bank, 1902-1905. Brick with plain tiled roofs. Surviving buildings comprise the kiln block and 2 workshop and warehouse ranges on opposite sides of a yard. Single-storeyed kiln range of 9 bays with 2 downdraught glost ovens with circular hovels to the east of the site, and to the west, a 3-storeyed workshop range of 18 bays with doorways in the end bays, and fixed-light windows with double ring cambered heads. Stone plaque of falcon in gable apex. Further workshop block to S of 3 storeys and 12 bays with similar detailing, built at about the same time. The works were built by Goss as an extension to London Road works established in 1858. (Stoke on Trent Bottle Ovens Survey: Goss Works).

Listing NGR: SJ8738244939

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
384489
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11042/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Donald Pittman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].