CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1210496
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE, CHURCH GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1210496.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:29:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE, CHURCH GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Colston Bassett
National Grid Reference:
SK 69981 33265

Details

COLSTON BASSETT CHURCH GATE SK63SE (east side) 4/3 Church of St John the Divine 1.12.65 GV II Church. 1892 by A W Brewill for Robert Millington Knowles of Colston Bassett Hall. Ashlar. Blue slate roof. Cruciform plan with tower and spire over the crossing. 3-bay nave with clerestory, low lean-to aisles and south porch, single-bay chancel and single-bay north and south transepts. Perpendicular style. 3-light square-headed aisle windows, other windows 3-light except the 4-light east window all with Perpendicular tracery. Dated cast-iron rainwater heads. The square tower has diagonal buttresses and each face has two 2-light, louvred, bell-chamber openings. Crenellated parapet with corner and intermediate piers. Tall, slender octagonal spire with lucarnes near the top. Interior: 3-bay north and south arcades on short round piers with heavily foliated capitals. In the spandrels, finely carved winged angels with musical instruments support engaged colonnettes which support the arch-bracing to the two traceried and brattished principal roof trusses. Oak-panelled box pew at west end with elaborate canopy. A tablet by the south door commemorates the erection of the church by the squire, Robert Millington Knowles, in memory of his eldest son John Haslam Knowles, died August 15th 1890 aged 21 years, and his wife, Alice Catherine Knowles, died March 1892 aged 39 years. In the south chapel is a marble monument erected by Lord and Lady Crawshaw in memory of their daughter, Alice Catherine Knowles, died March 1892, a well carved life size figure of an angel pointing to a cross on a simple background. Also in the chapel, an early octagonal font with plain shields and a brattished rim, possibly from the old church of St Mary (q.v.). The building is notable for its high standard of ashlar work. An important village site. N Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1979.

Listing NGR: SK6998133265

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
241810
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/12909/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].