CHURCH OF HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1210563
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY CROSS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1210563.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:27:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY CROSS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Shipton-on-Cherwell and Thrupp
National Grid Reference:
SP 48025 16520

Details

SHIPTON ON CHERWELL AND THRUPP SHIPTON ON CHERWELL SP4816 6/132 Church of Holy Cross 07/12/66

GV II

Church. Medieval; rebuilt and west tower added in 1831 by William Turner; minor restoration by J. Buckeridge, 1869. Squared and coursed limestone with ashlar dressings; stone-coped gabled stone slate roof. Nave, chancel and west tower. Gothic Revival style. One-bay chancel has offset corner buttresses, 3-light Decorated-style east window and 2-light side windows. Two-bay south side of nave has hood mould over chamfered pointed-arched blocked doorway, and label moulds over 2-light ogee-headed cinquefoiled windows; to north side are similar windows flanking early C14 reset Decorated porch, which has hood mould with rosettes and unusually primitive head corbels over hollow-chamfered pointed-arched doorway with rosettes; Cl9 pointed-arched inner doorway. Three-stage west tower has hood moulds over cinquefoiled windows and battlemented parapet with corner gargoyles. Interior: arch-braced roof throughout, with moulded beams, wind braces and king posts, set on plain corbels adorned with arms of past vicars and lords of the manor. Chancel has mid C19 Minton tile floor, and early C14 reset cinquefoiled tomb recess. Double-chamfered chancel arch has traceried Decorated-style panels flanking brattished Perpendicular-style traceried wood screen made in 1896. Nave has wood traceried pulpit set on stone base, C18 parish chest, C11 tub font reset on late C19 piers and C19 west door. Late C19 stained glass throughout. Memorials: in chancel are wall tablets to John Rathbone, d.1613, set in coloured moulded architrave, Stephen Pomfrett, d.1713, with carved stall and hourglass set above roundel , and Gothic-style memorial to William Turner. Also in chancel is medieval child's coffin. Ledger stone in nave to Edward Egleton, d,1722. Pictures of church before restoration show that chancel had north chapel (whence tomb recess was moved) and that present C14 porch lay to south. William Turner was an Oxford watercolourist and his uncle William Turner of The Manor (q.v.) provided the money for restoration. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp757-8; Information from VCH National Monuments Record; Bodleian Library, Topographical Drawings)

Listing NGR: SP4802516520

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
395048
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 757-8
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1990)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16206/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J. B. Moseley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].