This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1210730



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: City of Stoke-on-Trent

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 384512

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ94SW UTTOXETER ROAD, Longton 613-1/7/96 (South West side) 04/03/92 Church of St James


Church. 1833-4, a Commissioners Church designed by J Trubshaw, (BoE:T Johnson). Sandstone ashlar faced. West tower, nave with 2 aisles, chancel. 3-stage tower with simple hood mould over west door and Perpendicular style window above, with clock over, and paired foiled bell chamber lights. Polygonal angle buttresses form pinnacles. Traceried panels to embattled parapet. Decorated style windows to aisles, which are divided into 6 bays by buttresses forming pinnacles, and which have embattled parapets. North porch projects only slightly from building line of aisle. Clerestory with 2-light traceried windows and parapet above. Apsidal chancel with Perpendicular style 2-tier windows with hoodmoulds carried on corbel heads. INTERIOR not inspected but reported as having polygonal east end with window of 1874 by Cappronier, north and south vestries, sacristy and organ chamber, in part a modification of probably 1889, stone west gallery with vestibules and stairs in the western aisle bays, truss roof, pews and a fine monument by Baily of 1843. (The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Pugh RB: Staffordshire: Oxford: 1963-: P.234; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: Harmonsworth).

Listing NGR: SJ9143843125

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1963), 234
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)

National Grid Reference: SJ 91438 43125


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1210730 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 01:36:28.

End of official listing