10, DOWNING STREET SW1

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1210759
Date first listed:
14-Jan-1970
Statutory Address:
10, DOWNING STREET SW1

Map

Ordnance survey map of 10, DOWNING STREET SW1
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1210759 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 14:44:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
10, DOWNING STREET SW1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30059 79937

Details

TQ 3079 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER DOWNING STREET, SW1 92/5 No. 10 14.1.70 I G.V.

Large terraced town house. 1682 origin, built as 2 houses in Sir George Downing's development of the street; remodelled as one property, incorporating a large house of c.1677 to the north facing Horseguards Parade, 1723-35 by the Office of Works (Kent, Isaac Ware and Flitcroft all probably involved); the street front refaced (with No. 11 q.v.) c.1766-75 by Kenton Couse; major reconstruction/restoration 1960-64 by Raymond Erith. Darkened brick street front with sparse stone dressings, slate roof. 3 storeys, basement and dormered mansard. 5 window wide astylar front. Doorway in 2nd bay from right, recessed panelled door and fanlight in stone architrave with shaped consoles to moulded cornice; similar disused doorway to left. Recessed glazing bar sashes under flat gauged arches. Stone plat band below 1st floor sill band; main stone cornice below parapet with coping. Cast iron area railings with overthrow lampholder. The rear north premises of C.17 origin remodelled c.1723-35, are of red brick with hipped tiled roof. 2 storeys on basement and dormered attic. 7-window wide symmetrical north front with 3-window centre break, 5-window west return. Recessed glazing bar sashes under flat gauged arches. Although the interior has been replanned (in conjunction with Nos. 11 and 12) and carefully reconstructed, the principal rooms and the north staircase remain; top lit stone stairs with substantial S pattern iron balustrade; 2 storey vaulted kitchen of c.1723-35; Dining Room (and breakfast room) by Soane 1825-26 with typically individual shallow vault design and panelling; Drawing Room with 2-column screen decorated in the Kent manner; Cabinet Room with a screen of 2 richly carved Corinthian columns; fine collection of statuary marble chimneypieces; etc. No. 10 has been the official residence of the Prime Minister as first Lord of the Treasury since 1735.

Survey of London; Vol. XIV. History of the King's Works; Vol. VI.

Listing NGR: TQ3004679951

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
209516
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Margaret Westminster Part 3 Neighbourhood of Whitehall Volume 2:Volume 14 , (1931)
Mordaunt Crook, J, Port, M H , 'The History of the Kings Works' in The History of the Kings Works 1782-1851, , Vol. 6, (1973)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12274/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].