HUTTON IN THE FOREST HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1210817

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Oct-1986

Statutory Address: HUTTON IN THE FOREST HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of HUTTON IN THE FOREST HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1210817 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 22:10:10.

Location

Statutory Address: HUTTON IN THE FOREST HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Skelton

National Grid Reference: NY 46048 35763

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 43 NE(NY46 50 35750) SKELTON HUTTON-IN-THE-FOREST 10/230 12/10

27.12.67 Hutton-in-the-Forest-Hall (formerly listed as Hutton Hall)

GV I

Fortified tower with large country-house extensions. Late C14 or early C15 for the Hutton family with early C17 gallery by Alexander Pogmire for Henry Flecther, further 1680's extentions by Edward Addison for Sir George Fletcher, incorporating parts of the medieval and early Cl7 hall; alterations of 1824-7 by George Webster, 1845 and 1845 and 1871 by Anthony Salvin for the Fletcher Vane and Vane Families. Tower has thick dressed red sandstone walls battlemented parapet with flat roof. Other walls are of pink and red sandstone ashlar, with parapets stone battlemented, under graduated greenslate roofs with large C19 bonded red sandstone ashlar chimney stacks. 2½ storeys over vaulted basement; rectangular tower with left 2½-storey, 5-bay classical facade and further left C19 3-storey, 3-bay tower and rear 3-storey, 7-bay wing, the last 2 bays in mock-tower Form; right gallery wing, adjoining the medieval tower at right-angles, 2 storeys, 5 bays with further tower 2-storey, 5-bay extension. Tower has C19 entrance within C19 shouldered-arched stone porch. 2-light C15 windows with cusped heads, and left stair loops. Left angle stair turret projects above parapet. Classical facade has central quoined-surround doorway, now French window, with keyed lintel, under large cross casement window in stone architrave within pilasters and bracketed cornice; central attic swag. Cross-mullioned windows, those on ground floor under cornices and first floor alternate open triangular and segmental pediments. 2-light attic windows in eared architraves, under pilastered parapet with urn finials. Left tower has Tudor 2-light windows, those on first floor pointed, all under hoodmoulds. Angle turrets, that to left with further circular angle watch towers. Similar windows in left return wall. Rear wing has sash windows in stone architraves, the mock tower has 2-light Tudor windows. The right wing is c1640 with a polygonal central open porch under a bay window supported by clustered columns. Segment-arched openings with similar clustered columns, now with casement windows. upper-floor mullioned-and -transomed windows. The battlemented parapet was probably added by Salvin. Futher Cl9 wing has stone-surround doorway and 2-light windows. Interior has some original features including part of the angle newel staircase in the tower. Late C17 curved staircase with cherubs and aconthus leaves. Elaborate plaster ceilings, some C18, but mostly C19 by Webster and Salvin. Other rooms have C19 panelling, internal paralled shutters and C19 stone fire- places. See Hutton-in-the-Forest, Guide Book and Archaeological Journal, 1958, cxv, pp 274-250 and elevation on p 229. Also Webster family, Exhibition catalogue, Albert Hall Art Gallery, Kendal, illustration No. 14.

Listing NGR: NY4604835763

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 73965

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Guide Book to Hutton in the Forest Cumbria, (1958)
'Exhibition Catalogue' in Exhibition Catalogue for Kendal, ()
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 65, (1958), 274-250
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 9 Cumbria,

End of official listing