UKRANIAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL (KING'S WEIGH HOUSE CHURCH)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1210923

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: UKRANIAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL (KING'S WEIGH HOUSE CHURCH), BINNEY STREET W1

Statutory Address: UKRANIAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL, DUKE STREET W1

Map

Ordnance survey map of UKRANIAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL (KING'S WEIGH HOUSE CHURCH)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1210923 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 05:50:06.

Location

Statutory Address: UKRANIAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL (KING'S WEIGH HOUSE CHURCH), BINNEY STREET W1

Statutory Address: UKRANIAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL, DUKE STREET W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 28425 81013

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2881 SW 55/56 CITY OF WESTMINSTER DUKE STREET, W1 Ukranian Catholic Cathedral

(Formerly listed as The King's Weigh House Chapel)

14.1.70

GV II* Church. 1888-91 by Alfred Waterhouse, as a Congregational Church. Redbrick and plentiful buff terracotta dressings (Burmantofts); tiled roofs. Carolingian Romanesque style. Corner-site running between Binney and Duke Streets. Above the rectangular ground floor level rises the elliptical body of the auditorium; tripartite, west entrance front to Duke Street, its symmetry broken by south west corner tower with steeple and, to left, by gable and ventilation turret. Triple arcaded porch in antis approached by flight of steps; centre group of tall narrow round arched lancets above, inscribed under relieving arch, and elaborated gable with arcaded machicol ations. The tower has narrow arcaded screens to middle stage and octagonal bell stage within square, pinnacled, corner buttresses, spire with gablets. Coupled gabled doorways at head of steps to Binney Street/Weighhouse Street corner, surmounted by gabled dormer in ground storey parapet. The auditorium ellipse has a steep hipped roof with iron ridge cresting. The interior has rectangular ground floor but the elliptical shape is picked up at first floor level by the horseshoe gallery upper walls and ceiling; glazed brick walls and four structural columns faced in faience; simple woodwork to gallery; sympathetic alterations to chancel by J.J. Burnet, 1903 including east window (with glass by Anning Bell) and east screen wall and flanking organ cases; pews introduced and pulpit removed for Ukranian Cathedral with a confessional by J.F.Bentley from Westminster Cathedral; etc. Survey of London; Vol. XL.

Listing NGR: TQ2842581013

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 209547

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - The Grosvenor Estate in Mayfair Part 2 The buildings: Volume 40 , , Vol. 40, (1980)

End of official listing