This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1211005



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Greenwich

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Jul-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 200486

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ 4479 PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18 (North side)

786- /9/47 Royal Arsenal Dial Square entrance 08/06/73 range


Archway and front range to foundry , gun boring works and smithery, later ordnance works. 1717- 20, attributed both to Sir J Vanbrugh and to Nicholas Hawksmoor; 1896 cartridge factory. Red brick with rubbed brick headers hipped slate roof Single-depth plan front range to former quadrangle. Single storey with attics to end blocks; 9-bay range. Symmetrical with central gateway and gabled ends set forward, articulated by shallow buttresses which rise through the eaves with plain caps. Gateway has large square battered piers with moulded caps and pyramids of cannon balls on top, a gabled round-arched gauged brick gateway with blocked voussoirs and a sundial dated 1764. At the back of the archway a 3-centre arched cast-iron beam, dated 1780 at one end and inscribed with the names of former Inspectors of Artillery and of the Royal Brass Foundry between 1797 and 1855. Linking 3-bay sections have 2 segmental-arched sashes with thin glazing bars, the inner bays have an inner doorway and overlight, the outer ones with a central round-arched window and flanking flat-headed 6/6-pane sashes. End gabled bays have 2 sashes and a round-arched frieze beneath the gable and a smaller segmental-arched attic window. Rubbed brick heads to 6/6-pane C19 sashes. Rear altered, the 3 E bays open with late C19 cast-iron columns. INTERIOR: altered with the removal of most original features. HISTOR Y: With the Royal Brass Foundry and the Board Room (qqv), part of the expansion of the Arsenal when the Board of Ordnance moved gun founding to Woolwich, and known as the Great Pile. Originally fronted a double courtyard range of buildings, the inner Grand Square was for turning, washing, engraving and smitheries, the rear Basin Square having armourers' shops and accommodation. It contained horse-powered cannon-boring equipment, to which cannon cast at the nearby Royal Foundry (qv) were sent. Graded for its significance in marking an important phase in the development of the C 18 and C19 factory. (RCHME, Historic Buildings Report, Royal Arsenal Woolwich, Vol. I, 1994; Wesley H, The Royal Arsenal: a brief history , London, 1987, pp.3, 11; Hogg O F G, The Royal Arsenal, Oxford, 1963, pp. 252-273; Pevsner N and Cherry B, The Buildings of England: London South, 1983, p.287)

Listing NGR: TQ4379479093

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bridget, C, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 287
Hogg, O F G, The Royal Arsenal, (1963), 252-273
Wesley, H , The Royal Arsenal: A Brief History, (1987), 3, 11
'Historic Buildings Report' in The Royal Arsenal Woolwich, (1994)

National Grid Reference: TQ 43794 79093


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1211005 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 09:08:43.

End of official listing