This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MILL

List entry Number: 1211205

Location

THE MILL, CASTLE HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 383943

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAFFORD

SJ9123 CASTLE HILL 590-1/5/6 (West side) 16/01/51 The Mill

II

Tower windmill. 1796 using materials from demolished late C16 Shire Hall. Dressed stone. Conical tower, covered in scaffolding at time of inspection. Blocked entrance recorded as having Royal arms from Shire Hall above (not found); iron roundel above has lettering: 1796/ MI. Windows, some blocked, have wedge lintels with keys. Cap missing. INTERIOR retains heavily moulded floor beams of substantial scantling to each floor, possibly incorporated from demolition of Elizabethan Shire Hall in 1793. Some heavy timbers and trusses to conical roof remain. The mill was steam powered by 1847 and ceased working in early 1880s and was derelict by the late 1930s. Although derelict, the mill is an important landmark in Stafford The site is believed to be that of the Norman Royal castle of c1070, and the mill is sometimes claimed as standing on the foundations of the castle keep. (Victoria County History of Staffordshire: Greenslade MW: A History of Stafford, taken from VCH: London: 1979-: 200, 212-3).

Listing NGR: SJ9181723257

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1979), 200, 212-3

National Grid Reference: SJ 91817 23257

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1211205 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2017 at 08:47:58.

End of official listing