This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1211384



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Greenwich

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 395868

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 4412 ROMNEY ROAD SE10 (North Side)

Royal Naval College "Queen Mary's Quarter" TQ 3877 26/G107B


2. Begun 1699 with chapel and inner colonnade to designs of Sir Christopher Wren. Completed by Sir John Vanbrugh 1728. East front Portland stone ashlar. 4 storeys, 25 bays. Slightly projecting 5-bay centrepiece (with balustraded parapet) and 3-bay ends with pedimented gables. Hipped roof of moderate pitch, leaded to North, slated to South. Dentilled eaves cornice right across; blocking course over intermediate sections. Bands at 1st and 3rd floor levels and at 1st floor cills. Rusticated ground floor. Piano nobile comprises 1st and low 2nd floor, both included in arcading of centre and ends, with 2nd floor windows lUnettes. All other windows recessed square headed sashes with glazing bars, those in centre and ends with moulded architraves. South front 4 storeys and basement, 11 windows. Enriched entablature and parapet. Slightly projecting ppedimented end bays with pilasters on 3rd floor and quoins below. Bands at 3rd floor level and 1st floor cills. Rusticated ground floor. Above ground floor windows in moulded architraves, those on jrd floor shouldered. Console bracketed broken cornices and triple keystones to 2nd floor windows. Modified Gibbs surround and console bracketed cornice to 1st floor windows. Windows in outer bays in tall, round arched recesses running up into pediment, with oval attic window. In left bay 3rd floor window flanked by round arched niches. Below this the return of inner colonnade, 6 pairs of Tuscan columns (the outer ones square) with entablature and balustraded parapet over. The whole inner (West) return is a long colonnade of paired columns with balustraded upper floor set back behind them and ending in a tower of 2 stages with drum and dome above. Lover stage square, 1-bay with wide open pediment and high round arched window with flanking niches. Upper stage round, of Corinthian columns, with diagonal projections. Low drum with raised eaves for clock face. Ribbed lead dome with oval windows in lower part, columned cupola with vane above. Inside, the chapel, damaged by fire in 1779; and in 1789 redecorated by James (Athenian) Stuart and William Newton. Octagonal vestibule with coved ceiling. Tall flight of curved, dimishing steps. 8-bay chapel with wood galleries both sides resting on wide, curved brackets. Low, segmental ceiling has 3 coffered roundels in borders. Organ gallery at West end resting on Ionic Order with balustrade, highly enriched. Original organ by Samuel Green, 1789. All that remains of original decoration are 2 tall pairs of Corinthian columns at either end framing entrance and altarpiece painting by Benjamin West. Very rich classical ornament throughout in shallow relief and in grisaille. In gallery ends double doors in rich surrounds under flattened, coffered ½-domes. Round pulpit, on 4 fluted Corinthian columns, has carved Coade stone medallions by Benjamin West, and graceful curved stair.

Listing NGR: TQ3867777909

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 38677 77909


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1211384 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 02:11:46.

End of official listing