Old Grammar School

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1211444

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1952

Statutory Address: Old Grammar School, St Nicholas' Place, Kings Norton, B38 8RU

Map

Ordnance survey map of Old Grammar School
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1211444 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 13:44:17.

Location

Statutory Address: Old Grammar School, St Nicholas' Place, Kings Norton, B38 8RU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 04963 78997

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 04/06/2018

SP 0478 NE 58/2

Kings Norton St Nicholas' Place Old Grammar School

(Formerly listed as Old Grammar School on the north side of the churchyard to the Church of St Nicholas, THE GREEN)

25.4.52

II* Probably built as the priest's house to St Nicholas's Church. Early C15 altered. Stone plinth; ground floor brick with stone quoins; first floor half-timbered.

Two storeys; three bays, the centre one advanced, gabled and containing the porch. Ground floor apparently underbuilt when the porch was added probably in the late C16. All windows mullioned, in stone on the ground floor and in wood on the first. On the right hand return, a window with rusticated tracery. To the left, a modern staircase of c1910. Inside, some simple C17 panelling and the roof of three trusses forming two centred arches.

HISTORICAL NOTE: The building, while empty, was the target of an unusual attack by suffragettes. The Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU), formed by Emmeline Pankhurst in 1903, used militant methods including attacks on property its campaign to get the vote. This extended to arson, but as the target was property rather than people suffragettes only attacked empty buildings. In April 1913 two windows were forced open but no fire was set. A message on the blackboard read ‘Two Suffragists have entered here, but charmed with this old-world room, have refrained from their design of destruction.’

This list entry was amended in 2018 as part of the centenary commemorations of the 1918 Representation of the People Act.

Listing NGR: SP0496278998

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 217166

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing