This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SMALL HEATH PUBLIC LIBRARY AND BATHS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SMALL HEATH PUBLIC LIBRARY AND BATHS

List entry Number: 1211476

Location

SMALL HEATH PUBLIC LIBRARY AND BATHS, GREEN LANE B9

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Birmingham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1982

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 217174

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREEN LANE 1. 5104 Bordesley Green B9 Small Heath Public Library and Baths SP 08 NE 7/42 29.11.78 II 2. 1893-1902 by J Henry Martin of Martin and Chamberlain. A large complex of library and baths ingeniously planned on a corner site. Built in the red brick and terracotta Gothic-Jacobean style that is the hall mark of the Birmingham School for public buildings of this date. A tall circular clock tower dominates the apex of the site with a shafted gabled doorway at the foot. A splayed single storey top lit vestibule leads from the tower to the gable end of the library hall with a north wing, and the baths occupy the broad base of the triangle, ranging across the site and flanking the wash house - service block. The pump house and boilers with a tall circular chimney wing from a bartizan pinnacled tower, close the north end of the bath block. Large delicately mullioned (and transomed) windows set in a group of buttress shafts with pinnacled parapets. Decoration details are concentrated on the clock tower with its short spire and on the gable end of the library with very slender shafted arcading and cusped lunette in apex with good relief sculpture consisting of a group of figures in medieval and Renaissance garb symbolising Learning Knowledge and Study. Steep pitched slate roofs, bellcote, to ridge of library. The cross end wing of the latter has an apexed north end. The bath halls have cambered iron trusses paired with trefoils and cast iron stiff leaf capitals, columns and shafts. All the windows retain good leaded patterned glazing with some tinted glass.



Listing NGR: SP0928986120

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 09289 86120

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1211476 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jun-2017 at 06:14:13.

End of official listing