CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (PLUMSTEAD)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1211745

Date first listed: 26-Mar-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (PLUMSTEAD), ST NICHOLAS ROAD SE18

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (PLUMSTEAD)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1211745 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 22:49:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (PLUMSTEAD), ST NICHOLAS ROAD SE18

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Greenwich (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 45931 78545

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 4412 ST NICHOLAS ROAD SE18

Church of St Nicholas (Plumstead) TQ 4578 22/W5 26.3.54

II*

Church. Nave and aisles, west tower and chancel. The present south aisle was the original nave and is of medieval date: the west wall is C12, the south wall C13, with arched doorways and windows within. C14 blocked doorway at east end of south wall. Random rubble masonry with restored parts roughcast. The north aisle was added in C15 to the medieval nave and now forms the present nave. The church was restored in 1867-8 by C.H.Cooke, and enlarged on the north side in 1907-8 by Greenaway and Newberry, in Arts and Crafts Perpendicular style. The new arcade matches the old one. The chancel is of the same period, all of purplish brick with stone dressings. High-pitched tiled roof. Foundations of medieval south transept visible on south side of church. Tower built into the church at the west end, 1664: 3 stages, brownish-red brick with corbelled stone cornice, battlemented parapet and angle turrets. Simple window tracery of moulded brick. INTERIOR: Timber arch-braced collar-beam roof. North aisle: C15 4-bay arcade with hollow-chamfered arches on octagonal columns. Fittings: High altar, altar and baldacchino in north-east chapel, font, clergy and choir stalls all by Stephen Dykes Bower; reredos painting by Donald Towner. East window by Martin Travers. All these date from post-war restoration of the church by T.F.Ford & Partners, 1959. Memorials: some C18 tablets, including one to British Defence Engineer, William Green, Bart. R.E.



Listing NGR: TQ4593178545

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 396270

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing