This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1211931



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Milton Keynes

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Gayhurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 350955

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



Church of St. Peter




Parish church, built 1728 for George Wright. Limestone,grey rusticated plinth, yellow ashlar above. Lead roofs. Chancel, nave and W. tower. Tower of 2 stages, divided by moulded string at level of nave eaves cornice; rusticated corner pilasters below, plain pilasters above, 2-light gothick belfry windows with keyblocks and string at springer level, moulded coping with weathered lead blocking course and vases at each corner, arcaded cupola with ogee lead dome and wrought iron weather vane. W. front of lower stage has semicircular arched doorway with rusticated voussoir surround, keyblock and 2 light gothick window over. On the S. side a large semicircular headed niche with keyblock, impost band carried round tower at cill level of window. Nave south front of 5 bays, rusticated base and outer pilasters,modillion cornice centre bay flanked by engaged fluted Ionic columns supporting projecting section of entablature and pediment. 2 flanking bays each separated by fluted Ionic pilaster. Columns and pilasters all on projecting rusticated plinths. Central 18 panelled door with radiating fanlight head with carved centre in arched opening with architrave, framed by rectangular shouldered architrave above which is a cornice and semi- circular pediment. Each bay has a rectangular panel at high level. 4 semicircular headed windows in architrave surrounds with key and impost blocks, moulded cills with aprons below. Corner pilasters return on E. and N. walls, on the W. the pediment is interrupted by the tower, on the E. end is a complete pediment. Chancel lower and narrower than nave with similar details. One arched window to side walls, arched niche and pediment to E. wall. Interior ashlar stone above panelled dado, plaster ceilings. Nave walls of 5 bays with Corinthian pilasters supporting entablature with enriched cornice and frieze with alternating open books and mitres over pilasters. Windowleaded with radiating heads, deeply recessed with architraves and moulded panels over. W. wall has wide tower arch (containing organ) semicircular head with panelled soffit architrave, impost and keyblocks. Entablature broken above arch, ends- supported on large carved brackets flanking carved and painted Weight arms. Flanking walls are panelled. The E end of the nave is similar. On left of chancel arch original pulpit on wine-glass base with, sounding board with elaborate carved cornice and in-laid soffit. Above the arch carved and painted arms of George I. Plaster ceiling of nave has central oval and surrounding panels all with, enriched mouldings. Panelled pews; "Chancel , has panelled dado, rei'edos, with fluted Corinthian outer pilasters, pairs of columns flanking centre supporting broken entablature and open segmental pediment with blocking course carrying urn shaped candles-ticks. Alter rails and steps semicircular on plan, the floor of the sanctuary paved with black and white marble, the wrought iron railings- have scroll panels and gates. The coved plaster ceiling is panelled with oval centre and enriched surrounding moulding the cove decorated with elaborate floral plaster work. A small portable font stands in the chancel arch. Monument On right of chancel arch in nave the monument erected 1728 to George Wright, Lord Keeper of the Great Seal and his father Sir Nathan Wright. With 2 lifesize figures on plinth between Corinthian pilasters supporting a segmental pediment. Above and behind them carved drapery.

RCHM II p. 116 Mon 1.

Listing NGR: SP8465446255

Selected Sources

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

National Grid Reference: SP 84653 46255


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1211931 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 10:42:29.

End of official listing